Healthy and super easy, quick and delicious vegan pasta with sauteed mushrooms and eggplant. This is my favourite vegan one pot pasta from Minimalist Baker. This dish has been a hit in my house for quite a while. Enjoy!
12 ounces dry pasta
- 1/2 small eggplant, cubed
- 2 cups cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1 1/2 cups vegan marinara sauce
- 2 cup water
- 2 tsp sea salt + more for eggplant
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Basil for finishing
- Rinse and dice eggplant into small, bite-sized cubes. Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle generously with salt to draw out some of the moisture. Wait 20-30 minutes. Then rinse and pat thoroughly dry with a towel. Set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 3 Tbsp olive oil, the eggplant and 1 clove of minced garlic. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp sea salt and stir. Sautee for 3-5 minutes or until a golden brown color is achieved, then add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more or until all of the veggies have color. Set aside and cover – you will top the pasta with it.
- To the same saucepan, add the pasta, water, marinara sauce, the remaining cloves of garlic. Start with 1.5 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp black pepper (you will likely add more later depending on the saltiness of your marinara/your personal taste).
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer until the pasta is cooked to al dente – will vary depending on kind of pasta – but typically an average of 10 minutes, stirring once or twice so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Once cooked, stir and taste to adjust seasonings. I added more salt and lots of fresh basil.
- Remove from heat and top with eggplant-mushroom mixture and more fresh basil.
Serve immediately. Serves 3-4.