This is a side dish that we have made many times and it is one of our favourites! If you love your meat, this makes a great side dish, otherwise as a vegan, I like to serve it with a tabbouleh salad.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves (or dry)
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 4 x1cm-thick slices broccoli
- 4 x1cm-thick slices cauliflower
- 4 small eggplants
- ground sumac, to serve- optional
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup plain dairy free yoghurt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- To make the dressing, place the tahini, yoghurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Place the oil, garlic, oregano, fennel seeds, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Place the broccoli and cauliflower on a large tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Brush both sides of the steaks with the oil mixture and set aside.
- Preheat a char-grill pan or barbecue over medium heat. Cook the eggplants, turning every 5-10 minutes, for 35-40 minutes or until the skins are charred and blackened. Set aside to cool slightly. Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until just tender.
- Remove and discard the skins from the eggplants and spoon the flesh onto serving plates. Drizzle with the dressing and top with the broccoli and cauliflowers. Sprinkle with sumac to serve. I also like to grill other vegetables when making the steaks like cherry tomatoes and portobello mushrooms.