Yield: 13 muffins
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup apple diced into cubes
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, preferably at room temperature
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease all 12 cups on your muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend well with a whisk. Add the grated and chopped apple and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil and maple syrup and beat together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then add the yogurt, applesauce and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a big spoon, just until combined. The batter will be thick, but don’t worry! Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Bake muffins for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. If you have leftover muffins, store them, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze leftover muffins for up to 3 months.
- For a gluten-free version, feel free to use a different flour
- For a vegan version use egg replacers or 2 tbsp of flaxseed and 5 tbsp of water and substitute the Greek yoghurt for your favourite brand of dairy free yoghurt. I love Yoso coconut base yoghurt.