Here is a delicious and simple chocolate quinoa breakfast bowl that I love making lately. It’s my new favourite breakfast. Sweetened naturally with maple syrup and made with a rich coconut milk and organic cocoa powder! Not only healthy, tasty but also high in protein.
Quinoa also contains 9 essential amino acids that are required by the body as building blocks for muscles. It also contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. 1 cup of cooked quinoa has 2.8mg of iron, which is 15% of your daily value. Here is another great benefit about quinoa. It is high in Manganese. Manganese is an antioxidant, which helps to prevent damage of mitochondria during energy production as well as to protect red blood cells and other cells from injury by free radicals.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can coconut milk (2 cups)
- pinch himalayan salt
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Mixed berries
- Sliced banana
- Hemp seeds
- Shredded Coconut
- Cacao nibs
- Pieces of vegan chocolate
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add rinsed, drained quinoa and toast for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, to dry up water and slightly toast.
- Add the coconut milk, and a pinch of salt, and stir. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Once the milk is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, remove from heat and add the cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir to combine.