Quinoa Vegetable Soup
What a delicious soup. So comforting on a Sunday dinner.
Quinoa vegetable soup recipe from Cookie and Kate of veggies, great Northern beans and quinoa. Feels great and is so comforting. 💚
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 to 2 cups chopped seasonal vegetables, like zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, sweet potatoes or butternut squash
6 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 can (28 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
Scant 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well in a fine mesh colander (use less for a lighter, more broth-y soup)
4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
2 bay leaves
Pinch red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup or more chopped fresh kale or collard greens, tough ribs removed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, seasonal vegetables and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring frequently, about 1 minute. Pour in the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the quinoa, broth and the water. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 2 bay leaves and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 25 minutes, then remove the lid and add the beans and the chopped greens. Continue simmering for 5 minutes or more, until the greens have softened to your liking.
- Remove the pot from heat, then remove the bay leaves. Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt and pepper until the flavors really sing.